Pages

5/28/2011

I'm 41 and Fat, so what? I'm Blessed!


Yes, in 4 days, I'll be 41, and fat... I hope I don't give you goosebumps when I act confidently in front of you even though I know I am fat... Yes I was also laughed at when I was young, and yes, even up to now... But somehow, my parents brought me up not to be drowned by those bad comments, but rather, stand up and prove them wrong... Pardon me for saying this, but I am aware that I am blessed in so many ways, which is probably one reason why I never felt "inferior".

I am blessed to have a talent in fixing my own hair, and putting my own make up... I seldom go to salons to have my make up done... I love fixing my own face and hair... I love making myself beautiful... I also love accessorizing, and this is one thing not anybody can pull off... That is why I am grateful for this blessing...

I am also blessed to have dancing skills... Since I was 3, I've been dancing to whatever was hot during those days... I loved watching the dancers on TV, and mastered their steps on every dance music they promote... My favorite were the Vicor dancers... (Joy Cancio was one of them). And I was also blessed to perform at school programs during Elementary and High School... And yes, even up to now, I know how to "dougie"...

When I was growing up, I always dress up confidently. I was "into" fashion. Of course it was in the 80's, so it was the fashion era of blazers, shoulder pads, jackets, and layering... I didn't have problems during that time because I had so much to cover! And besides, I never wore tight fitting blouses or tops that would reveal my giant flabs... Since I was young, I choose my own clothes and never did I wear clothes that didn't look flattering on me... I was blessed to have an eye on how to look good in fashion clothes regardless of how big or small a person is...

Unfortunately, I can only buy clothes from a few... Tops from Debenhams, Dorothy Perkins, Marks & Spencer are my frequent finds... Sometimes, I get jackpots from Gap, Old Navy, Anne Klein, Heather Miss Grey, Bleach Catastrophe, and Liz Claiborne... Jackpots, meaning, fits me perfectly, but burdens my wallet... My wish is to go to Greenhills and easily find something cheap but fashionable... I want a steal, not a splurge... But in my case, splurging is the only solution...

Recently, I visited a local department store, looking for school bags for my kids. As I walk up and down their escalators, I was caught up with irregular sized mannequins in one of the hallways... It caught my attention because the mannequin's top was fashionable, yet, not the typical size 2! I quickly glanced the rest of the rack, and found out that the whole area is for the Plus Sized women...

I used to ignore those racks because, c'mon, they don't design fashion tops... They only design for the "big women" who just wants to wear something, and not to wear something stylish... But this time, I was surprised to find interesting stuff...

I bought one from a new plus size designer, Hint...


I loved its fabric, and the finishing is perfect... Sometimes, locally made clothing doesn't have good finishing touches... But this one changed my impression of local designers... You can find Hint and all of these plus size shops at SM Department stores. Lots of choices, I swear!!!

There is also a brand "JUS - Just Ur Size". Big and long shirts, just like my favorites from Bleach Catastrophe and Heather Miss Grey... I bought 2 shirts from JUS.



"Figures" collection is a little on the classic side. They also have selections of trendy and cropped shirts. I bought a dark brown top which is so flattering... I love it because of the "tiered" design, which hid my gigantic "spare tires" in the waist area...


I also discovered "Animale" in Crossings... I loved their unique designs... I actually bought 2 from their stall...


I'm looking forward to their next batch of designs and made me feel so
blessed to have more selections for my wardrobe...

Thank you Lord for all these blessings, and I can never, ever trade them all just to be thin... Though I know it would be a plus if I could lose a little weight...


4 comments:

Padded Cell Princess said...

Yay for being big and beautiful! I recently developed what is commonly referred to as a 'ghetto booty' and I decided that instead of stressing over it, I should learn to love it and I now do! ...and my husband does too ;) I also love spending the time doing my hair and makeup and it is so nice and refreshing to find women who can love the skin they are in and find the blessings in it! I hope your birthday is fab!

McDreamer said...

Thank you so much Padded Cell Princess! It's so nice to know people like you who counts their blessings, instead of stressing over something not even worth a wrinkle!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! It's honest and entertaining. You are bold, big and beautiful in every sense of the word.

McDreamer said...

Thank you so much!